Summary Monitors activities in swimming areas to prevent accidents and provide assistance to swimmers by performing the following duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Scan the area of surveillance to make sure patrons are safe and behaving according to the rules.
- Cautions swimmers regarding unsafe areas.
- Acts in emergency situations and provides rescue and first aid assistance until medical personnel arrive.
- Maintains order in swimming areas by enforcing rules consistently and fairly.
- Inspects the aquatic facility for unsafe conditions and cleanliness to prevent accidents and reports any hazards to the supervisor.
- Inspects centers restrooms and cleans daily and as needed.
- Determines chlorine content and pH value of water with water testing kit.
- Gives swimming instructions.
- Fills out reports for incidents and/or other records for reference.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork - Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests.
- Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Supports organization's goals and values.
- Judgement - Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Current Driver’s License, Red Cross Lifeguard Certified
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk and sit. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and climb or balance. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.