Summer Recreation Director
We are looking for an enthusiastic Camp Director to manage our camp. In this role, your duties will include designing suitable recreational activities, ordering camp supplies, and training camp employees. Your duties may also include modifying activities to suit the needs of specific groups.
To ensure success, Camp Directors should exhibit experience in developing camp curricula and demonstrate the ability to assume responsibility for the day-to-day management of a camp. Outstanding candidates prioritize the safety of all campers and ensure an excellent camp experience. This position is seasonal based upon the summer calendar of June 2021 to August 2021 and hours may vary.
This position requires a person who is able to accomplish desired objectives despite distractions or interruptions. Resource and equipment management are integral components to the position’s success. In addition, supervision of youth campers is a key component; Camp Director must be able to plan and implement activities while maintaining program area safety. The duties of a Camp Director may frequently call for activities outside in varying weather conditions; employee may be exposed to sunny, wet, or humid conditions outside of their immediate control.
- Minimum age 18 year
- One year knowledge of recreational programs and activities
- Effective leadership techniques relevant to youth and teen programing.
- Valid Driver License
- Ability to speak and write standard English appropriate to a public-school education setting
- Ability to create and implement fun and engaging developmentally appropriate activities in the areas of STEAM, fitness and recreation, academics/enrichment
- Reliable transportation to and from Summer Camp program sites
- Ability to frequently stand, walk, stoop, sit, crouch, bend, talk, hear
- Ability to engage in physical activity with members without limitation
- Ability to lift, carry, pull, or otherwise move objects between 10 and 20 pounds
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Experience in planning and developing camp curricula, as well as modifying activities when required.
- Advanced ability to hire, train, and oversee camp employees, as well as ensuring the campers' wellbeing.
- Experience in working with children, as well as arranging camp accommodations, meals, supplies, and equipment.
- Proficiency in office software, including MS Word, Excel, Outlook Express, and PowerPoint
- In-depth knowledge of activity-related safety regulations, as well as health and sanitation requirements.
- Ability to document processes and perform recordkeeping.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Knowledge of developmental needs of school age children
- Strong Math and English skills (K-12)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Presenting camp information to new parents and community members
- Assist Recreation Coordinator in interviewing and hiring camp employees
- Overseeing camp employees
- Ability to give proactive criticism to camp employee and do performance reviews
- Modifying activities for campers with special needs.
- Ensuring safe practices and a healthy camp environment.
- Supervising and leading recreation staff
- Serves as positive adult role model for camp counselors and campers in the program through appropriate dress, speech, attitude, and courtesy
- Ability to work with diverse personalities and ages
- Plans and implements a variety of daily recreational and enrichment activities that align with camp themes for small groups; continually interfacing with campers, volunteers, staff, and parents
- Ability to lead and supervise small and large groups by recognizing potential issues and applying established BPRD procedures and problem-solving methods as needed
- Ability to observe camper behavior, assess its appropriateness and apply appropriate behavior management techniques, positive redirection, or appropriate corrective action as necessary in order to support campers in making positive behavior choices
- Identifies camp needs and communicate to Recreation Coordinator
- Leads and supervises camp activities in and outdoors
- Assists and participates in daily camp activities and field trips including swimming, educational and recreational trips, and other summer children’s activities scheduled throughout camp
- Accurately completes and submits time cards, incident reports, rosters, receipts, and other camp related records, in accordance with established BPRD policy
- Maintains cleanliness in all program areas; assist with setup and breakdown during Camp day and contribute to ongoing efforts to keep camp location clean and orderly
- Ensures age-appropriate conversation among campers and staff; promote good manners and encourage common courtesies among campers and staff
- Evaluates camp daily and suggests improvements, needs, hazards and trends to Recreation Coordinator for further evaluation
- Maintains accurate camp attendance records with communication from camp counselors
- Responsible for groups if camp counselor isn’t present until replacement Camp Counselor arrives - never leave a group unsupervised
- Responsible for providing reports and documentation of any and all injuries or incidents to recreation coordinator
- Demonstrates reliability and punctuality by arriving on-time for scheduled shift
- Maintains a positive, professional, and supportive relationship with Camp counselors, fellow Camp Directors, BPRD administration, and volunteers.
- Maintains a positive, professional, and supportive relationship with campers, parents, and the community at large
- During swim time at pool, Camp Director is expected to actively work, monitoring BPRD campers who are swimming.
- Camp Director is expected to wear appropriate camp uniform at all times
- Attendance and participation at all required staff meetings/training
- Adherence to all organizational policies and procedures
- Any additional duties related to summer camp as assigned by the Recreation Coordinator