Summer Recreation Leader
We are looking for enthusiastic Camp Directors to manage our FUNtastic Kidz and Teen Summer Day Camps. In this role, your duties will include overseeing the day-to-day management of the camps, designing suitable recreational activities for specific age groups, assigning duties as needed to Camp Councilors, inventorying supplies, and making weekly reports to the Recreation Coordinator. Camp Directors are also responsible for ensuring the overall safety of the camp including; assigning duties and taking the lead during any emergencies, calling parents of sick or misbehaved children, and stopping any dangerous activities.
To ensure success, Camp Directors should exhibit experience in working with large diverse groups, developing recreational programs, and working closely with children. Some supervisory experience is preferred but not required. Outstanding candidates can think on their feet, adapt and change daily plans as needed, as well as prioritize the safety of all campers to ensure an excellent camp experience. This position is seasonally based upon the summer calendar of June 2022 to the end of July 2022 and hours may vary.
This position is primarily outdoors and requires a candidate who can work in all weather conditions. Camp Directors should be able to accomplish desired objectives despite distractions or interruptions. Resource and equipment management are integral components of the position’s success. In addition, supervision of youth campers is a key component; Camp Director must be able to plan and implement activities while maintaining program area safety.
- Minimum age 18 year
- One year of knowledge of recreational programs and activities
- Effective leadership techniques relevant to youth and teen programming.
- Valid Driver’s License
- Ability to speak and write standard English appropriate to a public-school education setting
- Ability to create and implement fun and engaging developmentally appropriate activities in the areas of STEAM, fitness and recreation, academics/enrichment
- Reliable transportation to and from Summer Camp program sites
- Ability to frequently stand, walk, stoop, sit, crouch, bend, talk, hear
- Ability to engage in physical activity with members without limitation
- Ability to lift, carry, pull, or otherwise move objects between 10 and 20 pounds
- Ability to work primarily outdoors in all weather conditions
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Experience in supervising staff is preferred but not required
- Experience in working with children
- Experience in organizing large group activities or events
- Proficiency in office software, including MS Word, Excel, Outlook Express, and PowerPoint
- In-depth knowledge of activity-related safety regulations, as well as health and sanitation requirements.
- Ability to document processes and perform recordkeeping.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Knowledge of developmental needs of school-age children
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Presenting camp information to new parents and community members
- Supervising Camp Counselors and assigning duties as needed
- Have weekly meetings with Camp Counselors to ensure duties and assignments are understood
- Ability to give meaningful feedback to the Camp Counselors and do performance reviews
- Modifying activities for campers with special needs.
- Ensuring safe practices and a healthy camp environment.
- Serves as a positive adult role model for Camp Counselors and campers in the program through appropriate dress, speech, attitude, and courtesy
- Ability to work with diverse personalities and ages
- Plans and implements a variety of daily recreational and enrichment activities that align with camp themes for small groups
- Continually communicates with campers, volunteers, staff, and parents
- Ability to lead and supervise small and large groups by recognizing potential issues and applying established BPRD procedures and problem-solving methods as needed
- Ability to observe camper behavior, assess its appropriateness and apply appropriate behavior management techniques, positive redirection, or appropriate corrective action as necessary to support campers in making positive behavior choices
- Evaluates camp daily and suggests improvements, needs, hazards, and trends to Recreation Coordinator for further evaluation
- Makes weekly reports either verbally or written to the Recreation Coordinator
- Leads and supervises camp activities in and outdoors
- Assists and participates in daily camp activities and field trips including swimming, educational and recreational trips, and other summer children’s activities scheduled throughout camp
- Accurately completes and submits time cards, incident reports, rosters, receipts, and other camp-related records, by established BPRD policy
- Maintains cleanliness in all program areas; assists with setup and breakdown of activities, and contributes to ongoing efforts to keep the camp location clean and orderly
- Ensures age-appropriate conversation among campers and staff; promotes good manners and encourages common courtesies among campers and staff
- Maintains accurate camp attendance records with communication from camp counselors
- Responsible for groups if the camp counselor isn’t present until a replacement Camp Counselor arrives
- Responsible for providing reports and documentation of any injuries or incidents to the Recreation Coordinator
- Responsible for communicating to parents about any behavior issues or illnesses
- Demonstrates reliability and punctuality by arriving on time for scheduled shift
- Maintains a positive, professional, and supportive relationship with Camp Counselors, fellow Camp Directors, BPRD administration, and volunteers.
- Maintains a positive, professional, and supportive relationship with campers, parents, and the community at large
- During swim time at the pool, Camp Director is expected to actively work, monitoring BPRD campers who are swimming.
- Camp Director is expected to wear appropriate camp uniform at all times
- Attendance and participation at all required staff meetings/training
- Adherence to all organizational policies and procedures
- Any additional duties related to summer camp as assigned by the Recreation Coordinator